2013 Ford Edge: Car Seat Check
What We Like
- There's plenty of room in the backseat for the rear-facing infant and convertible seats. We didn't have to move the front passenger seat forward to fit the car seats behind it.
- The forward-facing convertible and booster seats also fit well and installed easily.
- The seat belt buckles are on stable bases but slightly recessed into seat-cushion pockets. They sit just high enough that the booster seat doesn't ride on top of them.
What We Don't
- The two sets of Latch anchors are difficult to use because they're set high in the seat bight. This made installing nearly all the child-safety seats tough.
- The three tether anchors, which are on the seatbacks, are well-marked but under a carpeted flap.
A: Plenty of room for the car seat and the child; doesn't impact driver or front-passenger legroom. Easy to find and connect to Latch and tether anchors. No fit issues involving head restraint or seat contouring. Easy access to the third row.
B: Plenty of room. One fit or connection issue. Some problems accessing third row.
C: Marginal room. Two fit or connection issues. Difficult to access third row.
D: Insufficient room. Two or more fit or connection issues.
F: Does not fit or is unsafe.
About Cars.com's Car Seat Checks
Editors Jennifer Geiger and Jennifer Newman are certified child safety seat installation technicians.
For the Car Seat Check, we use a Graco SnugRide 30 infant-safety seat, a Britax Roundabout convertible seat and Graco TurboBooster seat. The front seats are adjusted for a 6-foot driver and a 5-foot-8 passenger. The three child seats are installed in the second row. The booster seat sits behind the driver's seat, and the infant and convertible seats are installed behind the front passenger seat.
We also install the forward-facing convertible in the second row's middle seat with the booster and infant seat in the outboard seats to see if three car seats will fit; a child sitting in the booster seat must be able to reach the seat belt buckle. If there's a third row, we install the booster seat and a forward-facing convertible.
Parents should also remember that they can use the Latch system or a seat belt to install a car seat.