2013 BMW 6 Series Coupe and Convertible: What's Changed
- Most significant changes: The 6 Series gets even faster with a more powerful V-8
- Price change: $895 increase for 640i; $2,500 increase for 650i
- On sale: Late summer
- Which should you buy, 2012 or 2013? If 400 hp isn't enough for you, wait for a 2013
For the 2013 model year, the powerful and expensive 6 Series gets a little more juice under the hood and only a slight price increase.
The 2013 6 Series is available as a coupe and a convertible in 640i, 650i and 650i xDrive trims. The four-door 640 Gran Coupe and 650 Gran Coupe are new for 2013 and go on sale later this summer.
Like the 2013 7 Series (750i and 750 Li), the 650i coupe and convertible get a new 4.4-liter twin-turbo V-8, which features an updated Valvetronic system. Power has increased by 45 horsepower, up to 445 hp and 480 pounds-feet of torque (an increase of about 30 pounds-feet). All powertrains now have an automatic start/stop system, a feature we've found intrusive on other BMW models. Like the 2013 750i, you should expect fuel economy to increase 20% to 25% on the 650i; the current one gets 15/23/18 mpg city/highway/combined with an automatic transmission.
The 6 Series was redesigned for the 2012 model year. Aside from the powertrain news, the model carries over for 2013 with a few additional safety systems. The lane departure warning system now gets a forward-collision warning system with speed-limit info; both are now included in the Driver Assistance Package. Active roll stabilization has also been integrated into the optional adaptive drive system.
The 2013 640i coupe will go on sale for $75,295, including an $895 destination fee, and the 2013 640i convertible will go on sale for $82,795. That's about 1% more compared with last year's pricing. The model goes into production later in July, with sales starting shortly thereafter.
Continue below for more pricing details.
2013 BMW 6 Series Coupe and Convertible (2012 Pricing)
- 2013 BMW 640i convertible: $82,795 ($81,995)
- 2013 BMW 650i convertible: $93,895 ($91,395)
- 2013 BMW 650i xDrive convertible: $96,895 ($94,395)
- 2013 BMW 640i coupe: $75,295 ($74,495)
- 2013 BMW 650i coupe: $86,395 ($83,895)
- 2013 BMW 650i xDrive coupe: $89,395 ($86,895)
- Destination: $895 (same)