Ch-Ch-Changes: 2012 Kia Sorento, Sportage
The Sorento is the brand's best-selling vehicle, so the new engine should be a welcome change. The current 2.4-liter engine returns a respectable 21/29 mpg city/highway with front-wheel drive. We'd expect the direct-injection version to get better mileage. We're unsure if Kia will continue to keep the current 2.4-liter as a bargain model alongside the new engine and the optional V-6. The 2012 Sorento should be reaching dealers now, the Sportage will go on sale in late June. More updates for the Sorento and Sportage are below.
2012 Kia Sorento changes:
- New direct-injection 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine, similar to the one found in the 2011 Kia Optima
- Available power folding side mirrors on all trims
- New dual exhaust system with four-cylinder powertrains
- New cloth seat fabric materials that supposedly reduce staining and static electricity
- Availability of the new Uvo hands-free entertainment system
- Third-row seating is no longer standard on LX V-6 trims, but it’s still an option
- Cooled seats standard on SX trims, available on EX trims
- New three-position heated seats optional on LX and EX, standard on SX
- A heated steering wheel with wood trim and upgraded cloth pillar trim standard on SX
- New backup warning and sonar available on all trims (LX optional, EX/SX standard)
The Sportage gets some similar updates, but no on-sale date was given.
2012 Kia Sportage changes:
- 17-inch alloy wheels are now standard on LX trim
- Uvo system now optional in EX and SX trims
- New seat fabric materials (same as the Sorento’s)
A 2012 Sedona is also arriving at dealers now, but there aren’t many changes for the model.