Infiniti Unleashes New Performance Line, G Coupe
When Lexus rolled out its high-performance F version of the IS sport sedan last year, it entered the world of luxury automaker’s turning basic cars into something more exhilarating. The problem for Lexus is the company had no sporty cars in its arsenal. Today, Infiniti announced its new performance line, IPL – Infiniti Performance Line – but unlike Lexus, the brand has one of the more popular sports coupes on the luxury market.
The G Coupe is the obvious choice to be the first Infiniti model to get the IPL treatment. Its 3.7-liter V-6, which every Cars.com editor salivates over, gets “performance tuned” to 348 horsepower up from 330 hp in the G37. There are also a number of additional performance enhancements, which we list below.
What you’ll notice first most likely are the huge 19-inch wheels and low-profile tires. The limited production model also comes in just two colors, the Graphite Shadow paint you see below and Malbec Black above.
While Lexus may continue to struggle with its performance image, the IPL line looks to be a natural extension of what was already drawing Infiniti owners to the brand to begin with.
The 2011 G lineup, including the G37 sedan, coupe and convertible, goes on sale in November. Check out a few more images of the IPL G coupe below.
2011 IPL G Coupe Features and Specs
- IPL-tuned 3.7-liter DOHC 24-valve VQ37HR V6
- 348 horsepower @ 7,400 rpm
- 276 lb-ft torque @ 5,200 rpm
- IPL-tuned high-flow dual exhaust
- Close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission with short-throw shifter or 7-speed automatic transmission with solid magnesium paddle shifters
- IPL-tuned performance suspension with independent front double wishbone / independent rear multi-link, front and rear stabilizer bars
- 19-inch IPL split 7-spoke graphite-finish wheels (19x8.5” front / 19x9” rear)
- P225/45R19 front / P245/40R19 rear W-rated Bridgestone Potenza RE50A summer tires
- 14.7:1 sport-tuned steering gear
- 4-wheel ventilated disc sport brakes with aluminum-alloy 4-piston opposed front brake calipers / 2-piston opposed rear calipers
- Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VSLD)
- IPL aerodynamics with front and rear fascias, side sills and rear spoiler
- Unique IPL emblem
- IPL engine cover
- Red-stitched sport front seats and steering wheel
- Aluminum pedals and footrest
- Interior colors: Monaco Red Leather and Graphite Leather
- Infiniti Studio on Wheels by Bose® premium audio system
- Infiniti Hard Drive Navigation System with XM NavTraffic® with Real-Time Traffic Information, XM NavWeather™ with Real-Time Weather and 3-day forecast (XM® subscription required, sold separately), Zagat® Restaurant Guide and 9.3GB Music Box® Hard Drive
- RearView Monitor
- Rear Sonar System
- Exterior colors: Malbec Black and Graphite Shadow