Ford Recalling 4.5 Million Vehicles
The Detroit News is reporting that Ford will recall 4.5 million vehicles over a faulty cruise control deactivation switch. It is the same defect that was at the heart of previous recalls now totaling 14 million vehicles. There have been more than 1,500 complaints and at least 550 vehicles fires due to the faulty part.
The new recall includes these vehicles:
- 1995-2003 Ford Windstar
- 2000-2003 Ford Excursion diesel
- 1993-1997 and 1999-2003 Ford F-Super Duty diesel
- 1992-2003 Ford Econoline
- 1995-2002 Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer
- 1995-1997 and 2001-2003 Ford Ranger
- 1994 Ford F53 Motorhome vehicles equipped with the Texas Instruments speed control deactivation.
This has been a black cloud for Ford for nearly 10 years. The automaker recalled 9.6 million vehicles between 1999 and 2008 and is still battling dozens of lawsuits over the issue.
Ford recalls 4.5 million vehicles for faulty switch (Detroit News)